Saturday, January 21, 2012

New Beginnings

First of all, I want to wish you all a great year! I hope all your dreams and hopes will come true.
The reason why I did not blog in such a long time is because I have been busy remodeling my house. After many years of just dreaming about it, I was able to finally do it! However, since we had many DIY projects, there were many mistakes made and I can say that it hasn't been an easy experience, but we learned a lot.
I love the contemporary style with a touch of glam, so I have decided to use cool neutrals for color palette.
I picked "Silver Setting" from Dunn-Edwards Paints for the interior and painted all the walls in this color. The main reason why I did this is because when it comes to bright colors I want to be able to change them as often as I want to. I plan to bring in the color using artwork, vases, pillows and other accents that I can easily change if I want to.
For the living room, I want to use green and yellows as my main colors, purple for the master bedroom and aqua blue for the office.
Gray Bedroom decor Ideas Beige Neutrals



When it came to flooring, I wanted something durable and easy to maintain.
I had hardwood and laminate floors in the past and they got scratched easily, so this time I wanted something different.
Initially I wanted stained cement, but the color options are limited. So we moved on and decided to pick a tile that has that contemporary vibe.
Online I have seen many gorgeous rooms that have black flooring and we found a gorgeous large 24"X24" porcelain polished tile.

Black Tile Contemporary Flooring -Unknown Source

While in pictures, black flooring looks gorgeous, it is NOT practical at all! You can see every little thing on it - even a drop of water can leave a stain and cleaning it is a painful, time consuming process. Also, the gloss layer applied on top scratches easily.
After we installed this tile in the kitchen, we started seeing all the problems with it and decided to remove it and start again.
The new tile we picked is a 12"X24" rectangular dark gray porcelain tile.
Since it has rectified edges, the grout line we used was 1/16".

Rectangular Tile Gray Modern Contemporary Flooring Rectified Edges


Also, my favorite designer Candice Olson used a similar tile in many of her designs.
Rectangular Tile Gray Modern Contemporary Flooring Rectified Edges 12 X 14 12X24 Porcelain Tile Flooring Modern Contemporary


This tile will be installed in the entire house and in the bathrooms I plan to use mosaic glass tile for the walls.


I promise I will keep you updated on the progress and until then, I hope you will share with me your remodeling and decorating experience or plans.

3 comments:

Memories for Life said...

Great selections! I would love to update our home as well. I love gray walls as they leave decorating options open!
The black tiles look great, but I'm sure they would be a nightmare to keep clean!
Love the lighting you chose as well!

Rebecca D. Dillon said...

How exciting to redecorate! I can just imagine the dirt a black floor would show. Like white does. We had a husky and black clothing showed everything!

Bini said...

That bathroom is like a dream!

Sending love from http://bini-chohan.blogspot.com/ (Via Etsy blog share!) xx